[aprssig] How to detect silent/stealth digis/Igates?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 08:20:21 EST 2014

Hi, Tom.

Although sensitivity testing is good, what I'm really looking for is a simple up/down test, as in "Does it still work, or has the weather emergency taken this one out?" Considering the "wonderful" ice storm we had recently in my area (southeastern Pennsylvania) that had broken some of our antennas and had power out for several days in some parts of the county, being able to proactively test "is this digi still working?" during an incident (preferably without having to leave the EOC or shelter) would be very useful (as in, "do we need to deploy alternate communications relays?").

I will ask the AEC in my group for more information, and ask him why we don't want the digis beaconing (saving power? being stealth doesn't stop them from digipeating).

I did try driving by one of the suspect digis last night, and it wouldn't digi me when I was parked right across the street from it (where two others 5 miles away were still digipeating me), so I'm assuming it's dead or antennaless right now.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
member, Chester County ARES/RACES