[aprssig] Weather Station mess..

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Feb 15 17:55:38 EST 2014

On 2/15/2014 4:10 PM, kliegle at myfairpoint.net wrote:
> Ditch the 2M mobile rig, place an modern HT with power saver enabled if all you are doing is sending telemetry, not digipeating.

You may be lucky living in a low-density area, but the typical California
mountain top is saturated with RF from multiple sites.   An HF with it's
completely wide-open non-selective front end will get completely overloaded and
blocked on nearly any CA mountain top.

The HT receiver is build to be sensitive to offset the lousy inefficient
antennas (i.e. rubber ducks) normally used near to the ground, but it has
next-to-no front-end dynamic range or selectivity and will overload brutally
when connected to a high antenna in an RF-saturated environment.

Of course, no extra power would be consumed if you routed the HT's antenna lead
through several repeater-type cavity filters on the way to the antenna......