[aprssig] HackRF as SDR for ham use?

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 00:19:52 EDT 2014

So, the max rx bandwidth on the HackRF is 20Mhz, or 20MSps delivered via
USB.  Since an 802.11b or g channel is 20Mhz, you can pull that off.
The N channels are 40MHz wide and the AC channels are (I think) up to
80Mhz+, so those are outside the capability.  The limiting factor (to my
knowledge) is the bandwidth of the USB connection.  There are several
scripts out there to incrementally snapshot fairly large swaths of
spectrum (i.e. sample 20MHz for 10 seconds, FFT, write to disk, move up
20Mhz, repeat ad nauseum).  Doing that, you get a pretty good picture of
regular, repeating signals fairly quickly.
Many of my classmates are interested in either bluetooth work, or
Z-Wave, and probably some Zigbee stuff in there.  This thing can even
decode ATSC OTA signals in real time.

Gqrx is a pretty slick piece of software that's cross platform, and SDR#
is supposedly the cat's meow in the Windows world.  Since I haven't run
Windows since Windows ME, I can't really comment on that.
The in-class exercise that we're working on is intercepting, decoding,
and eventually spoofing an RF-based PC security system that uses
low-powered 905 MHz transmitters to tell a USB device plugged into a
workstation when an authorized user is in the vicinity.  I suspect there
are some other cool exercises that Mike has up his sleeve for later on.
 Again, I'll have a full report tomorrow night.  Right now, I'm 3 hours
off between clock time and body-clock time, two beers in, and full of
steak.  I'm probably not spelling half the words in this email
correctly... :)

John Gorkos
AB0OO