[aprssig] Msg reply path (for SSn-N)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Oct 5 21:29:42 EDT 2013

On 10/5/2013 7:28 PM, Tony VE6MVP wrote:
> At 09:44 AM 2013-10-05, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>  >On 10/5/2013 9:09 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>  >
>  >> BUT, in this specific case, of an SSn-N packet, maybe it is a good
>  >> idea to change the ACK from the standard (usually WIDEn-N) to a
>  >> returning SSn-N.  Reason being, it is the ONLY way the ack could get
>  >> back and if it was received, then apparently surrounding digis support
>  >> SSn-N.
>  >
>  >Acking by SSn-N is going to fail miserably in numerous metro areas that
>  >straddle two or more states. Some examples:
>
> But the message got to you via an SSn-N and your device/software is just
> acknowledging the message.  So if you're in a border area it's not going to
> propagate out of your SS so that's a good thing.  Or am I confused?  Which I
> probably am.
>
> That said I can see border digi's responding to both, or more, SSn-Ns as well
> as WIDE2-2.    We've got one digi set  for that we for experimenting.   LLOYD
> with SK and AB. Trouble is that the nearest SK digi is not in reliable range of
> the LLOYD digi.    So I'm hoping to setup an intervening house digi at a
> relatives house in a village along the main highway which will work nicely.

I misunderstood Bob's original proposal.   I thought he was suggesting
"hardwiring" the message response/ack mechanism to use a set fixed SSn-N.

That being said, how often does SSn-N actually get used?

Is it really useful for anything?

It would seem to me that probably the greater metro area on both sides of a
border have more in common with each other, than either side does with the
rural interior of their respective states/provinces.