[aprssig] Msg reply path (for SSn-N)

Tony VE6MVP tony at ve6mvp.com
Sat Oct 5 19:28:56 EDT 2013

At 09:44 AM 2013-10-05, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
 >On 10/5/2013 9:09 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
 >
 >> BUT, in this specific case, of an SSn-N packet, maybe it is a good
 >> idea to change the ACK from the standard (usually WIDEn-N) to a
 >> returning SSn-N.  Reason being, it is the ONLY way the ack could get
 >> back and if it was received, then apparently surrounding digis support
 >> SSn-N.
 >
 >Acking by SSn-N is going to fail miserably in numerous metro areas that
 >straddle two or more states. Some examples:

But the message got to you via an SSn-N and your device/software is
just acknowledging the message.  So if you're in a border area it's
not going to propagate out of your SS so that's a good thing.  Or am
I confused?  Which I probably am.

That said I can see border digi's responding to both, or more, SSn-Ns
as well as WIDE2-2.    We've got one digi set  for that we for
experimenting.   LLOYD with SK and AB. Trouble is that the nearest SK
digi is not in reliable range of the LLOYD digi.    So I'm hoping to
setup an intervening house digi at a relatives house in a village
along the main highway which will work nicely.

Tony