[aprssig] Msg reply path (for SSn-N)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Oct 5 11:44:42 EDT 2013

On 10/5/2013 9:09 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> BUT, in this specific case, of an SSn-N packet, maybe it is a good
> idea to change the ACK from the standard (usually WIDEn-N) to a
> returning SSn-N.  Reason being, it is the ONLY way the ack could get
> back and if it was received, then apparently surrounding digis support
> SSn-N.

Acking by SSn-N is going to fail miserably in numerous metro areas that
straddle two or more states. Some examples:

    o   New York State/NYC/northern New Jersey

    o   Philadelphia, PA/southern New Jersey

    o   Chicago/NW Indiana/southern Wisconsin

    o   Kansas City MO/Kansas City KS

    o   Your own local environment with DelMarVa and DC
        (FOUR separate SS-n systems within one or two hops!)

    o   SoCal/Las Vegas/Phoenix

    o   Central CA Valley (Stockton-Sacramento)/NW Nevada (Reno-Carson City)
        (These areas are only ONE hop apart via digis in the High Sierras!)

    o   Portland OR/Vancouver WA

    o   Seattle WA/Vancouver BC

    o   Southeastern MI - Detroit/Toledo OH/southwest Ontario - Windsor ON
        See my live APRS webserver off-air-only map to see what passes as
        "local" in lower Michigan at <http://WA8LMF.net/map>

    o   Quad Cities on Mississippi
        (Davenport IA - Bettendorf IA - Moline IL - Rock Island IL)

    o   Omaha NE/Council Bluffs IA

    o   New England (Boston MA/Rhode Island/southern New Hampshire)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:   14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths