[aprssig] Msg reply path (for SSn-N)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Oct 5 09:09:12 EDT 2013

>  What about the acks?  I get a message... [from] five hops away
> on a SS5-5 path and my acks only go out WIDE2-2.

Now that might be a good idea.  I agree with Lynn that there are so
many marginal, misconfigured, and obsolete digis out there that
revers-pathing will only create as many problems as it solves.

BUT, in this specific case, of an SSn-N packet, maybe it is a good
idea to change the ACK from the standard (usually WIDEn-N) to a
returning SSn-N.  Reason being, it is the ONLY way the ack could get
back and if it was received, then apparently surrounding digis support
SSn-N.

I'd suggest that client softwware have a setting for MYSSn-N's so that
the operator can indicate the SSn-Ns in his area.  There are so many
and they can be locally strange that the client should not have to
figure out what is an SSn-N call but can use from its configured set.
In that case, I'd suggest a list of 4.  That way someone lliving in he
corner of a state but that has interest in surrounding states can
participate.

Maybe the list is not needed, and the client can just recognize
anything  of the form XX..# - # that is not WIDE or TEMP or TRACE?

Bob, Wb4APR