[aprssig] Best USB<-->Serial Dongle Ever ???

Ivy Renga irenga2 at comcast.net
Wed May 22 10:58:41 EDT 2013

Great Job Stephen!

You also shed light on a curiosity I had about my new Kenwood TH-D72.
Now I know why they insist you load their Virtual Com Port utility
before connecting to the mini-USB port.

F/or example, the "USB" interface on the Kenwood TH-D72 APRS handheld is
actually the serial interface of it's predecessor TH-D7 with a
serial<-->USB chip added internally.  The "driver" provided for the PC
reconstitutes the serial COM port of it's predecessor for the benefit of
APRS and packet programs that only think in terms of classic RS-232 COM
ports.   The ultimate irony is that the radio-specific memory
programming utility for this "USB" radio requires you to choose and
access a virtual COM port, instead of natively accessing the USB port./

Ivy, W8IUQ