[aprssig] "station which heard ... directly on the radio"

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Tue May 21 05:01:13 EDT 2013

Hello,

* Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne at skypro.be> [2013-05-21 00:16]:
> Well, althou these application where not written by me, I did take
> the time to have a look at the source-code  of multimonNG. It seams
> there is no code to add a '*' of the C-bit is set in the SSID part
> of an address.

I have made a patch to multimonNG that fixes its APRS behavior, by
removing the "-0" SSID (which is compliant as of APRS101.pdf, but fails
to trigger APRS-IS server dup checkers), and by adding a "*" for all
digis with the H-bit set.

This looks like a sensible compromise to feed data into APRS-IS, and
does not confuse the servers too much (the "*" setting behavior is badly
documented and inconsistent with implementations anyway, so a 1:1
mapping appears to be most sane to me, as it is the only way to
losslessly convert the packet back to AX.25)

I am appending the patch to this email, and will try to get it into
multimonNG upstream soon. If you want to test it, apply it to the source
from http://github.com/EliasOenal/multimonNG and run "./multimonNG -A"
(A for APRS).

73 from Germany,

Georg DO1GL