[aprssig] "station which heard ... directly on the radio"

John Wiseman john.wiseman at cantab.net
Tue May 21 04:27:15 EDT 2013

Kristoff,

My understanding of TNC-2 monitor format is that the * is appended to the
last used call (ie the station the packet was actually heard from). This
seems to agree with what APRS101 says

"In both formats, the callsign of the digipeater from which the incoming
packet was heard is indicated with an asterisk. (Alternatively, for "AEA"
format only, the asterisk will follow the source callsign if the packet was
heard direct from there"

So your example should be

U0QRQ5-0 via ON0WTO-2,WIDE1-0,ON0OST-0*

73, John G8BPQ