[aprssig] APRS in SAR (was: UTM grid (was: APRStt for SAR using...))

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu May 16 18:04:39 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:
> But does it really make sense to have a user tapping in GPS coordinates in some obscure (and error-prone) code that are going to be obsolete as soon as they move? I agree with the gentleman who suggested trackers. In fact, why can't we get a tracker with a screen like a conventional hiker's GPS, so it can tell the field user where they are while simultaneously telling Incident Command where that team is? Hopefully, such a device should be cheaper than a Kenwood TH-D72 (since it does less); otherwise, what's the point?. Rube-Goldberging awkward old hardware together and having to carry it along isn't a good idea when clambering through rough terrain (any more than it is a good idea when crawling through a smoke-filled burning building, like firefighters have to do).

This is exactly why we don't use APRS on searches. It's just too
complicated and distracting. Sending coordinates via voice is more
efficient than deploying a fleet of trackers.

> It sounds like what we really need is a more budget-conscious version of the TH-D72. No tuning out-of-band, no SkyCommand, no 1000 memories. Just a basic H-T with an LCD screen, GPS, and a mini-TNC (like the TinyTrak, but smaller and integrated).

I'd be very happy if my TH-D72 and GPSMAP 60CSx could communicate
wirelessly. The problem is that APRS radios and mapping devices have
not been combined and therefore must be connected with a cable. I'm
not going to tromp around in the woods with a cable dangling from my
chest.

Tom KD7LXL

P.S. My Android phone is almost the perfect APRS device. It can
receive, transmit, display, and message from APRS-IS while in cell
coverage. Only probably is it can't receive 144.39 MHz.