[aprssig] ICOM ID 51A HT

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Tue Mar 26 17:30:47 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Kent Hufford <khufford at atlanticbb.net>wrote:

You will NOT see the 144.39mhz analog APRS station on your DSTAR radio, nor
> will an analog APRS FM radio see the DSTAR station.

This is an important point that really needs to be reinforced.

I hear of many hams "getting into APRS" using APRS-IS client applications
on smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc. I also hear of D-Star users talk
about seeing their positions on APRS-IS client applications. Both methods
work great...as long as everyone has an Internet connection.

APRS was built on an RF-based network in which everyone in a local area
could decode other APRS users' beacons and, in more advanced applications,
see those positions on a map. No Internet access required. The APRS-IS
server network came along later and provided an additional means of seeing
APRS data that originated on the RF network. Now, we have APRS users who
only use the Internet and never send an APRS beacon on RF. Since most
I-gates don't, and shouldn't, reverse gate this Internet-sourced APRS data
back to RF, the RF users never see what's happening on the Internet side of
the servers.

I'm not knocking D-Star. But, D-Star users have to understand that DPRS is
not APRS.

Bob...