[aprssig] Bad Wiring diagram?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Mar 11 16:25:40 EDT 2013

Bad mini-DIN wiring diagram?

Connecting my D700 to my APRStt engine tonight I noticed the most prevalent
wiring diagram for the D700 data connector PG5A found on the web is wrong.
It shows both the 9600 and 1200 baud radio outputs connected together.

Yet the D700 manual has a warning “Connecting both PR1 and PR9 (1200 and
9600 baud outputs) together will cause the TNC to malfunction”.

Yet that note is not shown on ANY of the dozens of pages that refer to this
wiring diagram:

http://www.cqham.ru/0imgs/5060yq.jpg

So, if anyone has ever had problems with their external use of the Mini-Din
connector to the radio, then this might be why.  Amazing that this kind of
error can be out there for over a decade and be the most widely referenced
drawing on the internet!

Shows to go ya..

Bob, WB4aPR