[aprssig] Protocol translation - please no.

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jun 26 08:41:42 EDT 2013

3rd party packets for the translations back to RF?  More below...

On 6/26/2013 8:34 AM, Andrew P. wrote:
> I was assuming that:

Um, yeah.  No comment.  Definition 5 at
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=assume

> a) OpenTRAC and APRS would not be transmitted on the same frequencies,
> so the translator would be functioning as a cross-frequency repeater;

Someone, somewhere, sometime wouldn't realize this design intent and
would do it anyway.  Long after anyone that knows the ramifications has
moved on to different pastures.

> b) the APRS-IS backbone would never carry native OpenTRAC packets (a
> separate backbone would be needed to carry the different binary packet
> format).

Theoretically, if you make them 3rd party packets on RF, it might help?

> But you're right; a loop could still occur if two translators were
> "back-to-back" in the network (either over RF or via I-Gates on the
> APRS side), because translator#1 wouldn't recognize that the output of
> translator#2 was a previous input to translator#1 (even without the
> other issues you mentioned of digipeater/I-Gate mangling of packets).

Yep, and loops are bad, very bad as you already know.