[aprssig] Protocol translation - please no.

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 26 08:34:29 EDT 2013

Hi, Hessu.

I understand your concerns. Considering the redundant ways to express information in APRS (for example, 8 different message types [4 text, 4 MicE] for sending station positions, with 3 different encoding schemes for 4 of the types [plain text, plain text with DAO extended precision, compressed]), versus the standardized encoding in OpenTRAC, that alone would make it impossible to encode an APRS message into OpenTRAC and then convert it back accurately to its original APRS format. So, two translators that were out of direct contact with each other could create a loop if the APRS-to-OpenTRAC re-encoding of the degraded APRS->OpenTRAC->APRS message wasn't identical to the previous re-encoding (i.e., stable degradation).

I was assuming that:

a) OpenTRAC and APRS would not be transmitted on the same frequencies, so the translator would be functioning as a cross-frequency repeater;

b) the APRS-IS backbone would never carry native OpenTRAC packets (a separate backbone would be needed to carry the different binary packet format).

But you're right; a loop could still occur if two translators were "back-to-back" in the network (either over RF or via I-Gates on the APRS side), because translator#1 wouldn't recognize that the output of translator#2 was a previous input to translator#1 (even without the other issues you mentioned of digipeater/I-Gate mangling of packets).

Drat.

If stable (deterministic) degradation did occur, would this work if the translator checked for duplicates on the transmit side (i.e., if the packet translated to something already sent, don't re-send it) in addition to receive-side dup checking? Would it make sense to mark packets (at least on the OpenTRAC side) as having been translated so they wouldn't be translated back (i.e., an OpenTRAC translation or network relay flag attribute)?

Oh, well, nice idea while it lasted.....

Andrew KA2DDO