[aprssig] Solar Plane: Leg 4: Flight St. Louis - Washington - Friday!

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Jun 14 16:44:57 EDT 2013

On 6/14/2013 2:19 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> That is how APRS should work (Objects and stations should be treated
> identically in all respects).
>
> Authors can confirm if their software will do this.  If not, then fix it.

In my experience, APRS software gives lip-service to objects and
stations being treated equally.  Even aprs.fi has some issues in this
regard, expecially now that SOLAR1 is an object owned by KJ4ERJ-15 as
well as a station beaconing it's own telemetry data (but no
station-formatted posits).

And "fix it" is just not possible when it comes to some of the APRS
IGate software and also a resistance factor when it comes to some
APRS-IS server-side software (which is really where the courtesy posits
come from meaning that IGate authors can't fix something if the APRS-IS
isn't going to forward them the object's posit packet).

PS.  I'd love to hear a definitive word on whether a message (or ack,
which is just a message) from a station addressed to a station on an
"IGate" (aka filtered) APRS-IS server port will cause a "courtesy posit"
for an object of the same ID to be forwarded out that port.  Or do
courtesy posits only apply to station-formatted posit packets and not
objects.