[aprssig] APRS for IPad

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Jun 14 15:34:45 EDT 2013

On 6/14/2013 1:13 PM, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> I'm kicking around a slightly different approach - thinking of running
> xastir on an embedded ARM type board (I'm thinking PCduino, but a
> Raspberry Pi is cheaper) and using the iPad as the GUI "console" via a
> VNC client.
>
> Considering price/performance, a tablet is a much better interface
> than any of the third party in-car displays I've seen.
>
> -Jason
> kg4wsv

I've actually done this using Mocha VNC on an iPad to control my PC-based APRS
HF/VHF/ISS webserver/igate setup.  It works, but the real problem is
manipulating keyboard/mouse-centric programs with fat fingers on a touch screen
interface.

The incessant unpinching/pinching gestures on the iPad to zoom in close enough
to separate dense pulldown Windows menus and lists enough to hit only the
desired choice, and then out again, gets old in a hurry.

How are you going to deal with this problem of "fat fingers" on the touch
screen dealing with dense menus, dialogs and checkboxes on the
keyboard/mouse-oriented app at the other end of the VNC link?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:   14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths