[aprssig] APRS for IPad

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 13:13:33 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Heikki Hannikainen <hessu at hes.iki.fi> wrote:
> I'd guess it'd be possible to put together a ~$100 class TNC / radio
> interface kit with a Raspberry Pi-type Linux board ($25 for model A,
> single USB) + WiFi ($20 USB stick?) + TNC-Pi
> (http://www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm $40) + preconfigured Linux on a small
> flash card. That could make the TNC available to any WiFi client on
> the same network, or act as an access point in a mobile setup.

I'm kicking around a slightly different approach - thinking of running
xastir on an embedded ARM type board (I'm thinking PCduino, but a
Raspberry Pi is cheaper) and using the iPad as the GUI "console" via a
VNC client.

Considering price/performance, a tablet is a much better interface
than any of the third party in-car displays I've seen.

-Jason
kg4wsv