[aprssig] Google Glasses and HAM Radio

Kent Hufford khufford at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jun 12 14:45:22 EDT 2013

I watched on a couple of Leo Laporte's TWIT shows about the $1,500 developer
edition Google Glasses.
Interesting.. At first did not connect to Ham Radio.

Then I saw Robin Cutshaw, AA4RC at the Atlanta/Marietta Hamfest, Dstar Forum
wearing his. He was discussing the
coming release of a Raspberry PI with a DVDONGLE daughter board that can be
operated from a coming iPHONE or
Android DSTAR smart Phone application. NO ICOM radio involved. Just talk
into your iPHONE or Android phone and be
on a DSTAR reflector or repeater of your choice.

The he, or someone mentioned that you can have the DSTAR callsign data
scroll across your Google Glasses.
That would be great. Right now, I have to look way down in the car to see
who is talking, or what is going.
With the Glasses, I can sorta keep my eyes on the road and keep up with the
conversation. So, DSTAR data would be a good use.

How about APRS data? Maybe Bob has a pair of developer glasses? If they have
photo electric cells on them? Would be neat to see new stations, or via path
on the screen without looking down in the D710.

Or the freq window from your HF mobile? Lots of neat stuff could be done
with some developer, manufacture collaboration.

Talk is the consumer glasses could be between $200 and $500 when they come
out.

Kent
KQ4KK