[aprssig] Strange Postition Report

Max Harper kg4pid at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 02:55:57 EST 2013

Can someone here explain what I am seeing on Findu. It may be gone by the time anyone else can see it because it is 1 Day 29 Minutes 56 seconds old as I am writing this. I do have screens shots of everything in case anyone wants to see them.

I was setting up APRX on a Raspberry Pi a few days ago and had let it run for a few days just to make sure it could keep a connection to T2WESTTN and that the Raspberry Pi was going to run OK. It does not have a TNC connected yet.

A normal position report looked like this.

KG4PID-14>APRX24,TCPIP*,qAC,T2WESTTN:!3417.45N/08742.32W#PHG7250 Bear Creek, Al

A few minutes ago I noticed this position report.

G4PID-14>APRX24,TCPIP,W1GG-1*,qAR,W5YD-5:!3417.45N/08742.32W#PHG7250 Bear Creek, Al�

Notice that the first character of my call is dropped and the path has changed and there is a strange character at the end.

Did W1GG-1 get my position report from the APRS-IS and send it out RF and was received by W5YD-5? FindU shows it comming in three hours after I had powered off the Raspberry PI.

Thanks, Max KG4PID