[aprssig] Best format for a Repeater Item (Better!)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Apr 24 17:09:48 EDT 2013

> after reading and digesting, looks like

)N7JN-V1!4833.53N/12307.05Wr 145.250MHz T131 R25m

> is the way to go.

But it fails the most valuable reason for these objects.  That is when"
N7JN-V1" pops up on an APRS radio front panel, few people other than the
owner of that repeater (and certainly not any visitors for which this
powerful capability was designed) knows what N7JN-V1 is.  Neither can it
be sorted to locate all frequency items.

The value of having the FREQ be the object name and using the proper
format are manifold:

1) The FREQ is highly visible on APRS radios when it flashes for 10
seconds on receipt
2) It is stored in the Station List as the Frequency so it is trivial to
find from the LIST button
3) ALL such frequency objects can be found instantly in the 100-deep list
by pressing the SORT button by CALLSIGN.  This puts all these freuqncy
objects at the top of the list for trivial TUNING using the TUNE or QSY
button.
4) On APRS maps the FREQS stand out and are not just another callsign
requiring a CLICK to see the frequency
5) The weekly NET times are indicated
6) The montly meeting dates are included
7) Nobody cares what the callsign of a repeater is

The proper format I'd suggest is:

)145.25sji!4833.53N/12307.05WrPHGxxx T131 R25m Net Tu 7pm mtg3rdT

This has all the fetures intented for this APRS functionality noted above.
Monitor the OBJECT using a D7 HT and you should see this display:

> 145.25sji
> T131 R25m
> Net Tu 7pm
> Mtg3rdT

The last line does not show up on a D7's dual 20 byte display but it does
show up on the D700 displays which do 28 bytes.  Also, then on the other
D7 display it shows the Power, Antenna Height, Gain and directivity too
(from the PHG data).  All of this is very valuable compared to just seeing
another callsign object.

Bob, WB4aPR