[aprssig] Repeater object recommendation? (was Creating and maintaining a repeater object (RANT))

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 16:09:03 EDT 2012

Hi Bob,

I would like to cause a repeater object to be broadcast for our local
club.  Recommendations, please?

I run a 24x7 bi-directional iGate at my home (using Lynn's APRSIS32
software), which is about 4mi NW of the repeater site.  It's a fairly
low level installation (5w, 20' AGL J-pole antenna).  We are in hilly
country, and I'm at the bottom of a valley, so most of the traffic that
I gate to IS comes from the main high level Digi in the area, K6FGA-1
which is a bit over 20mi NE of me on a mountain top in a different
city.  I.e.

Repeater ---- 4mi --- ME ------------------------------------------ 20mi
------------------------------------------------ Regional Digi

To my knowledge, I am the closest 24x7 ARPS station to the repeater, and
I do have good coverage of a section of the interstate that runs through
town, so I think it makes sense for me to originate the object.  We do
not have any APRS equipment at the repeater site, nor would it be likely
to be added.

What *specific* settings do I use?  Or, is this a bad idea?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Amen.  Landed at Atlanta Airport, turned on the APRS HT and first
> packet received was for the "local repeater" 145.xx.  Hit the tune
> button and within seconds would have been in contact with other local
> APRS ops...
>
> NOT!  The repeater did not respond.  I went to the object screen and
> noticed that the repeater was over 100 miles away!
>
> This is NOT WHAT these repeater objects are for.  They are supposed to
> be only sourced LOCALLY and only via DIRECT paths so that they are
> only receivable only where they CAN BE USED.  Otherwise they are spam.

{snip}