[aprssig] Creating and maintaining a repeater object (RANT)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 22 09:42:42 EDT 2012

Amen.  Landed at Atlanta Airport, turned on the APRS HT and first packet
received was for the "local repeater" 145.xx.  Hit the tune button and
within seconds would have been in contact with other local APRS ops...

NOT!  The repeater did not respond.  I went to the object screen and
noticed that the repeater was over 100 miles away!

This is NOT WHAT these repeater objects are for.  They are supposed to be
only sourced LOCALLY and only via DIRECT paths so that they are only
receivable only where they CAN BE USED.  Otherwise they are spam.

In the next few minutes, another repeater came in.  Again, no joy.  Checked
range, and again, it was over 100 miles away.  Checked the source screen
and they were being sourced by a home station via 2 HOPS over 88 miles
away.  In Georgia, 2 hops can SPAM almost 50% of the entire state.

Please folks. Repeater objects are not supposed to be spam.  Do it right.

Every KPC3 digi can source up to 3 or even 4 of these objects and can have
their own path (ONLY DIRECT) and ONLY to their footprint.  Other digis can
similarly source such objects.

We are a community.  Lets work like a community.  Get with the local digi
sysop and lets get this done right.

If you insist on sourcing these at home (and adding collisions and spam to
the local network) then use no more than one HOP and only via the SPECIFIC
CALLSIGN of the digi that best matches the area of coerage.

See http://aprs.org/localinfo.html

Bob, WB4APR