[aprssig] Creating and maintaining a repeater object

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Fri Sep 21 17:06:34 EDT 2012

Hi,

almost two weeks ago I was hiking in Point Reyes National Seashore and
received two repeater objects that my D72 would happily tune to. Very.
One repeater I could hit, the other one I could not. I've always been a
fan of repeater objects as it solves the age old problem of "I'm new
here, what repeater should I listen to". None of the repeaters around
here have repeater objects. I'd like to change that. The only way I know
how to do this at the moment is to have create these objects in
APRSIS/32 and have it run all the time so it injects these objects into
the APRSIS servers for igates to pick up.

This seems a bit cumbersome. Is there no way to tell some service
somewhere what objects I have and how often they should announce
themselves? If not then is this one of the reasons repeater objects
aren't widely used? Most of the repeaters I know around here do not have
a matching igate that could inject these objects.

I've poked in the archives but didn't really find anything related.
Perhaps I didn't look correctly or (likely) I don't understand at all
how this works. Please correct me in that case.

Thanks,

     Sander W1SOP