[aprssig] Automatic Voice RFelay System (AVRS) and ALLSTAR

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Sep 17 17:16:24 EDT 2012

On 9/17/2012 5:07 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> Whoops! Do you have me mixed up with someone else? ;-)

Yes, and my apology!  I can't keep myself straight let alone who has
authored what...

> What about non-periodic messages at state-change times only? Since both the Echolink/Allstar/IRLP/??? gateways and the AVRS are up 24x7 and connected via reliable wired Internet links, they don't need constant beaconing.

Well, if a node doesn't change state while you happen to be driving
through,  you'd never know it was there.  Periodic beaconing is a good
idea for local situational awareness.   Every 10 minutes maybe, but
IMHO, at least every 30 minutes.  Then local IGates have a chance to
pick it up from the -IS and put it out to RF if desired.

> Also, I note that there are several IRLP and Echolink gateways in my area that are beaconing anyway (not my doing) and being gated to the APRS-IS. If they put the additional state that AVRS needs in their beacons, it would be done (just more difficult for the AVRS server to filter out of the APRS-IS flood).

Seems like the repeater object from the local information initiative
would be an excellent starting point.  Are your local nodes compliant
with that at least?

(Yes, that's in my tag line so I don't forget what it is I do...)