[aprssig] Future for aprs?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 12:47:30 EDT 2012

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> I first saw this one a few years ago.  Didn't see enough to make me
> spend the money, and now there are ARM based linux systems (Sheeva
> Plug, guru plug, and of course the Rasberry Pi ad nauseum).
>
> None are packaged as well as the GP2x, but all have considerable more
> power.  I've got a sheeva plug at work - once I get it running for its
> primary purpose, I may throw xastir on it and see how it behaves.  If
> it's usable, I may buy one for myself and finally have that APRS
> truckputer I've been threatening for 6 or 8 years.

I just deployed a DreamPlug for a single-purpose use.  Have access to ShivaPlugs, GuruPlugs and Raspberry Pi's here too.

Needed a Java app on the plugs but a co-worker mentioned that Java 6 wouldn't work on the ShivaPlug (not enough memory?) so I deployed the app on the DreamPlug.  No problems.

Looking forward to playing with the Raspberry Pi:  Cheaper and should do what I need for a remotely admin'ed computer.  I've watched with interested the postings on linux-hams list about running the AX.25 stack on the Pi's too.  I may have to buy a personal unit or two to play with.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html