[aprssig] Future for aprs?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Sep 10 14:18:51 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 09:47:30AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
>
> > I first saw this one a few years ago.  Didn't see enough to make me
> > spend the money, and now there are ARM based linux systems (Sheeva
> > Plug, guru plug, and of course the Rasberry Pi ad nauseum).
> >
> > None are packaged as well as the GP2x, but all have considerable more
> > power.  I've got a sheeva plug at work - once I get it running for its
> > primary purpose, I may throw xastir on it and see how it behaves.  If
> > it's usable, I may buy one for myself and finally have that APRS
> > truckputer I've been threatening for 6 or 8 years.
>
> I just deployed a DreamPlug for a single-purpose use.  Have access to ShivaPlugs, GuruPlugs and Raspberry Pi's here too.
>
> Needed a Java app on the plugs but a co-worker mentioned that Java 6 wouldn't work on the ShivaPlug (not enough memory?) so I deployed the app on the DreamPlug.  No problems.

I run javAPRSSrvr on my SheevaPlug with openjdk-6, and it has worked fine for
three years.

BTW, Xastir does work on it, although in my configuration I have to use
a vnc server on the sheevaplug and view it on some other machine with a
VNC client.  I haven't ever bothered putting a screen on my SheevaPlug (it
is primarily an igate and shares its TNC with other computers in the house).