[aprssig] Future for aprs Faster, cheaper and now!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 8 14:35:36 EDT 2012

New for APRS mobile?  How about a $12 transceivr that is as sensitive as
any modern APRS radio, is frequency agile and has 100 mw TX power operating
on UHF?

It can operate anywhere from 2400 to 100Kbaud on 2 AA cells.  I can imagine
an APRS distributed mobile data network that can handle 100 times more
mobiles plus high data rate transfer of images for better first responder
and emergency support type communications.

I'm sure someone has suggested these modules in the past, but I just looked
at the specs and am AMAZED at what they have crammed into this POSTAGE
STAMP sized UHF transceiver.

Stuart Robinson in the UK just turned me on to his project to use these
modules in small satellties and balloons, but I can envision a "digipeater
node" in evry neighborhood, building, tower and hill providing a dense high
speed amateur data network!  Just hook it to a pic processor for the smarts
and make it work!

The RFM22 can use any frequency 240mhz to 930mhz, its available in versions
with the antenna matching centred on 315mhz, 434mhz, 868mhz and 915mz. The
RFM22 is a transceiver, costs around $12.

Seems like everything is there!  Go for it!

Bob, Wb4aPR,