[aprssig] APRS back on 145.825 via ISS!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 12:51:03 EDT 2012

On 9/7/2012 10:29 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Just heard ISS back on APRS on 145.825.

It's been back on for a couple of weeks now.   You can view a live view of the
ISS activity from a page on my website at:

.    <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439/mapISS.htm>

This displays KJ4ERJ's ISS object from the APRS Internet feed on a world map.
When the ISS is within range of my home station in central Michigan, the map
switches to a more detailed view of eastern North America, and displays what I
am hearing off the air in Haslett, MI.

The receive setup is an Icom discone antenna and a BearCat 760 scanner. The
scanner's "Tape Recording" output is fed into a Behringer UCO202 external USB
sound card plugged into a cheap netbook PC running the UZ7HO sound modem and
the UIview webserver. Heard stations are also gated to the APRS-IS

The expire time for received stations is 80 minutes, so received stations
disappear just before the next pass.  I.e. the displayed stations are always
the current or most recent pass.

> Do NOT operate unattended.  Nobody there likes to see unattended beacons.
> But please join in with messaging to anyone you see there.

At least 3/4 of the beacons my setup receives are fixed stations are the same
on every pass.
They appear to be beaconing 24/7 just like typical home stations on 144.39.
(Once in a while, when two-meter extended propagation is happening, I see some
even when the station is on the other side of the world......)

I'm currently on the road (sending this from a McDonald's in Ely, Nevada)
returning to MI from the west coast.  Tomorrow will be my combined 30M APRS &
30/40/20/?? meters SSTV   portable operation from the top of Mt Evans, Colorado.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Mobile SSTV LiveCAM!
    http://wa8lmf.net/mobile
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham