[aprssig] Can YAAC or APRSIS32 do a CAVE.JPG map?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Nov 18 11:29:52 EST 2012

Can YAAC or APSIS32 accomodate JPG maps easily?

I need to figure out how to get the Mammoth Cave map into an APRS client.

The map is geographically correct, but I need to register the LAT/LONG
from two corner points and then be able to load it and be able to ZOOM
it during operation.

The main tour route is 3.5 miles crow-fly, from the old historic
entrance to the other New Entrance and maybe 6 miles of main tunnel.

I have see reports of up to 800 feet RF comms along main corridors in
some caves which would need about 7 hops per mile.  Since Mammoth has
a cable drop somewhere probably near the middle, then from the middle
outward and each end inward, we might be able to make it work (caver
to surface) using the HOP7-7,HOP7-7 path we use along the Appalachian
trail http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

The neat thing about cave APRS is that there is ZERO congestion and
interference and each digi ONLY hears its 2 neighbors.

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR