[aprssig] Linux & APRS Weather Stations

KA7O ka7o at ka7o.net
Wed Nov 14 01:46:14 EST 2012

Phil,

Here ya go: http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Fedora

Yes, it says "Fedora", but it works - as written - for CentOS 6.3 as
well. This will get you the latest possible updates from CVS.

I've 3 CentOS machines running Xastir 2.0.3 (cvs) now - following that
HowTo. Pretty much a "1, 2, 3" install - just follow the step by step
and you'll be up in short order. If you're more familiar with CentOS and
Xastir - good chance you can skim over the extra bits and wind up with a
working install.

By far and away, the easiest of the RPM distros to install Xastir on, is
Fedora - a simple "#yum install xastir" gets you a working install at
2.0.0. It's not quite up to the the cvs version of 2.0.3 - but close.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I'd wager you could download the
Xastir RPM from the Fedora repositories and in the Download directory on
CentOS run:

#yum install ./xastir-2.0.0-4.fc17.i686.rpm

and it'd work. Yum would go to the online repos and pull in any of the
required missing parts for you. Caveat - you'll have to manually update
Xastir when new versions come available.

When I get some time at the office tomorrow, I'll try that on a fresh
CentOS 6.3 Virtual machine I just setup. Make sure it plays nice.

Tate, KA7O