[aprssig] APRS and dstar (MotoTrbo)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 27 12:42:51 EDT 2012

> MotoTrbo radios have EVERYTHING in one package
> including the GPS.  There are people that are
> working with the data format currently to be
> able to produce APRS-portable content...
> Check out www.dmr-marc.net and www.trbo.info

I checked out both sites, and both are written for insiders.  There is no explanation as to how an end user with a moto radio communicates with another.  They seem to simply say that all repeaters in the world are linked, so does that mean that every convsersation in the world is sharing the same voice channel and it is impossible to get a word in edgewise?

I doubt it.  But without any description of what the end user sees, or how he uses the system, that is the only impression those sites give.

Can someone point to a site that is actually written for the newcomer?

Here is what I have always wanted to do since 2001 with ANY RADIO. (DSTAR, MOTOTRBO, or APRS):   I want to talk to W3XYZ no matter where on earth he is.  So I want to enter W3XYZ into my radio and place the call.  If he is avaiable, I want his RADIO to alert him and for him to ANSWER my call.

Can someone tell me if MotoTrbo can do that?  If so, then yes, a great project then is an MSTAR gateway to AVRS so that I can use my APRS radio to make or receive the call to someone on the MotoTrbo system.

thanks
Bob, WB4APR