[aprssig] APRS and dstar

Fredric Moses fred at moses.bz
Sun May 27 13:51:55 EDT 2012

ARS or GPS isn't even required todo aprs messaging even... can send an
aprs message to my handheld W8FSM-T2 and it will come into my radio...
i can send to any or reply back to received ones as well... just send
a message from the dmr radio to the server id with "a callsign-ssid
and messge" and it sends..

For our MS150 Bike events in michigan we wanted a way to lessen the
radio install times yet still have all the features we have now.  We
currently install Voice and dedicated aprs radio's into all the
med/sag/supply/staff cars for the 2 day events...  We used to use
TinyTrack3's but have since replaced most of them with Tracker2's and
nuvi 350's at least in all the med units..  We will prolly still keep
the nuvi's with T2's in med units as having a display and ability to
navigate to points on the gps is a great feature the teams love and
then for sag/supply units just install one radio that can do
voice/data/aprs.   In the command car with UI-VIEW on a tablet and
overlays with aprs having the big picture and sending messages or
putting up an object and telling a unit go here has worked well for us
the past 6-7 years. sending aprs text messages helps as it cuts down
on repeating things via voice and having to writing them down.  The
ham can just read the request and it's saved to be pulled up anytime..

--
Fredric Moses - W8FSM - WQOG498
fred at moses.bz