[aprssig] APRS and dstar (MotoTrbo)

Raffaello Di Martino raffaello.dimartino at kwos.org
Sun May 27 13:26:05 EDT 2012

Hi Bob,
> Here is what I have always wanted to do since 2001 with ANY RADIO. (DSTAR,
> MOTOTRBO, or APRS):   I want to talk to W3XYZ no matter where on earth he
> is.  So I want to enter W3XYZ into my radio and place the call.  If he is
> avaiable, I want his RADIO to alert him and for him to ANSWER my call.
>
> Can someone tell me if MotoTrbo can do that?  If so, then yes, a great
> project then is an MSTAR gateway to AVRS so that I can use my APRS radio
> to make or receive the call to someone on the MotoTrbo system.

MotoTRBO can do it. You don't need to know where is anyone, you only have to
call him and his radio will begin to ring.
I can also confirm that is possible to connect together the two worlds:
MotoTRBO and APRS. If you have a MotoTRBO server (like could be TRBOnet) you
can plot the waypoints of all the TRBO users on APRS.fi and is also possible
to exchange the messages between the two networks with a simple gateway that
could be developed.
TRBOnet uses SQLServer lite to store all the informations regarding the
MOTOROLA network so I guess that it's possible to manipulate these
informations for our APRS' needs.

At my office I've done a study on this project for the civil protection:
in Italy we have the volunteers that often use the ARPS and the
"non-volunteers operators" that use the MotoTRBO. My idea was to connect
together the two networks, but unfortunately it's remained only an idea: no
funds !

73's de Raffaello IZ0QWM