[aprssig] APRS return to basics (DR) (new images)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu May 24 08:59:42 EDT 2012

> Is DR actually giving you any more information about the storm?

I love it!  Driving home from work, I hear on the radio a thunderstorm over
Tysons Corner traveling NE at 15 MPH.  When I get home, I put a storm object
on my APRS map over Tysons corner, give it the approximate time of when I
heard the report, and give it a CSE/SPD of NE at 15, and then I can just sit
there and watch it approach.  Sure enough, when the DR'd storm gets to Glen
Burnie, the winds come up, the rain falls.

Without DR, all I would really know is that 2 hours ago it was raining in
Tysons Corner.

It sure brings things alive for me, and why I consider it fundamental to
APRS.  P.S.  This was APRSdos 15 years ago before you could get WEATHER.COM
maps.  But it still works great for RF users without the internet resources.

Bob, WB4APR