[aprssig] APRS return to basics (DR) (new images)

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 06:57:43 EDT 2012

Not picking a fight either, just answering some questions/passing along
information

> I'm sure the will be opinions either way. I'm a UI-View user.
Never used UI View, so I have no opinion on using it's vector lines vs DR,

>> It's also sometimes easier to ID a station that has a tracker
>> malfunction, when their voice reports show them someplace away
>> from where the DR places them.
>
> But is this a function of dead reckoning, or of a station beaconing
> a wrong position... e.g. GPS lost a lock and it continued sending
> an old position?

DR; I'm referring to a DR position moving along that obviously misses a
turn or has not updated for several minutes because the tracker is not
transmitting

> I would just rather know the last
> known position rather than the client estimating where the station
> might be.

With the DR implementations I've used you get both.  An icon at the last
beaconed position, a course  line based on last reported course , and an
icon along that line with the currently calculated DR position.

> Is DR actually giving you any more information about the storm?
> Again, I've never used anything that did dead reckoning.

Again it helps me with situational awareness when we have several storms
and warnings occurring in our area.

Part the difference in perspective might me that I took aerial
navigation training in the USAF where calculating and plotting DR
positions to supplement/sanity check actual RADAR/celestial fixes was a
large part, so I've been using DR in some way for over 30 years.

> Incidentally, what APRS client were you using that did the DR?

APRS DOS and APRSIS32

73

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS