[aprssig] BALDY APRS Station

n7qnm-lists at nwlink.com n7qnm-lists at nwlink.com
Mon May 21 13:59:58 EDT 2012

As a frequent "client" of the ORIGINAL (at least in time) BALDY and a
frequent "luker" here;  I think both John and Lyle have some good points.

Is there perhaps another way (Comment?) for INFRASTRUCTURE stations to
identify their location to folks with limited display width (ala HamHud or
Kenwoods)?    That might help address the issue; but at the same time one
could then use local filters to eliminate "noise" from DISTANT tactical
calls.

Other the other hand, there's still a potential issue here, particularly
if folks don't follow the right PATH rules.   I can easily see calls  like
"SAG" or "START" or "FINISH" being used by two groups within range of the
same mountaintop.  That would definitely cause chaos.

Perhaps some some sort of prefix could be added - ala SMSAG1, SMSTART, or
SMFIN (Seattle Marathon)?

Clay
N7QNM
N7QNM-9