[aprssig] BALDY APRS Station

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon May 21 14:16:47 EDT 2012

Similar to frequency objects (but limited to 6 characters for stations,
not 9 for objects), make it a suffix on the tactical call.  That way
both events can quickly see SAGn, FIN, STR (or GO), but they all have a
2 character suffix within the 6 first characters or after a - in an object.

SAGnEV (station) or EVSAGn
TAILEV (station) or EVTAIL
FINISH-EV (object) or EV-FINISH
START-EV (object) or EV-START

and so forth where EV is a unique (hopefully) tag describing the event.
It could, of course, always come first (as shown) which would aid
APRS-IS wildcard filters, but I find the suffix more quickly deciferable
for the station's function.

Just because there's a lot of bad-mouthing of "couch potatoes" and "it
wasn't meant for global views", doesn't mean that tactical collisions
can be blithely ignored.  If we all pay attention to making our
tacticals unique for a specific event, then we have nothing to worry
about even when a 2m opening happens during the event and we start
hearing packets from a similar even two states away!

The issue isn't specific to APRS-IS, but can happen on RF as well, so
it's worth striving for some sort of uniqueness before Murphy drops that
band opening in the middle of your (non-unique) event.