[aprssig] Ongoing FreqSpec Desires

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue May 8 12:21:47 EDT 2012

We agree, Bob.  The primary purpose of the Frequency information is for
the MOBILE operator.  But not all Mobile Operations is done with
APRS-native radios like Kenwoods or Yaesus.  We are trying to get the
Frequency Information to some common-enough and understandable-enough
level so that we CAN go out and get it FIXED!

My hope is that anyone watching APRS with APRSISCE/32 from ANY radio OR
Internet connection WHILE MOBILE, will be able to view parsed and
humanly readable FREQUENCY INFORMATION so that they can tune WHATEVER
radio they have to the repeater being advertised.  Picture it, QSY/TUNE
capabilities for the MASSES, not just Kenwood/Yaesu owners.  Those of us
with Baeofug HTs (which do NOT have automatic offsets, BTW), will be
able to COMMUNICATE using the information received via APRS.  What a
concept, UNIVERSAL ACCESS to the communications information instead of
focusing it solely on certain vendors radios.

No one is proposing elimination of the FREQ OBJECT but we ARE proposing
that the split definitions of what a FREQ OBJECT and a FREQUENCY COMMENT
support be merged into one.  Since the FREQUENCY COMMENT seems to be
more complete, we are proposing that the definition of the FREQUENCY
COMMENT become the ONE AND ONLY standard with the OPTIONAL use of a
Frequency in the name of an object.  We are not proposing that the
frequency NOT be allowed in the object name, but that it BE allowed in
the comment as well, without the ambiguity of the current double-meaning
of that frequency (alternate if an object and primary if a comment).

Right now, the only thing I see standing in the way is the single
statement about the appearance of FFF.FFFMHz in a FREQ OBJECT being the
alternate frequency which is expressed as FFF.FFFrx in a FREQUENCY COMMENT.

But first, we need to determine if Yaesu's are already requiring the
primary frequency in the comment.  If so, regardless of whether they CAN
be upgraded in the field, we can bring the specification quickly and
easily in line with the popular (and possibly necessary) usage and have
a bunch of nearly compliant FREQ OBJECTs already on the air.  We want to
make the spec match what the radios require, not just say "your
manufacturer is non-compliants, so your radio won't work", when a simple
shift in the specification may bring them all into working order with
new-spec-compliant objects.

So someone needs to put together a complete list of good and bad
frequency objects and comments to feed through the APRS radios that are
out there to determine what their ACTUAL behavior is.  And these objects
need to attempt to drive the radios to aribtrary offsets, not just put a
+060 (or worse, +0600KHz) in the packet and claim the radio "honored"
it.  We need to KNOW which pieces which radios (and which firmware) are
and are not using to REDEFINE what is and is not necessary and allowed.

I know this is what you first asked for, but being a non-owner of ANY of
these radios (which is why I want to nail this down, to make it work on
MY radios, a D700, Alinco DR-135s, and Baofung HT), I cannot do the
testing.  But if I sensed some willingness to bring the spec in line
with required practice, I could be persuaded to help craft the devious
packets necessary to prove current radio operations.