[aprssig] FREQ Object Formats

la3qma at aprs.la la3qma at aprs.la
Mon May 7 17:20:11 EDT 2012

Quoting "Bob Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>:

>> How often do you need to be told that on 70cm and 23cm
>> there is nothing like standard +/- offsets, every
>> country has their own standard and sometimes several in a single country.
>
> That does not matter. I am talking about the standards BUILT INTO THE RADIO.
> If the radios in a given region have a STANDARD offset, then that is what is
> used.  If a country does not use the standard, then of course it does not
> apply and the actual offset must be included.

Then it's better to use offset from the QSY information and not the
inbuilt data in the radio. It's better as we can now have one standard
and that is to include the correct offset and remove the possibility
that we have to assume either one.

When i have modified my TM-D710E to an TM-D710A it's "useless" in
No(r)way regarding some "standard" settings. Why modify it? To be able
to use functions that are legal to use that previous has been blocked
in the E model.

After i found out on how to modify the radio to get SkyCommand it's
possible with a firmware upgrade and i wish that Wireless also was
enabled via firmware.

> If the radio does not have a standard, then of course it does not apply then
> either and that is why there is provision for indicating a non-standard
> offset.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Then i would say that we should drop the "standard offset" and include
the offset in the QSY information as this is always going to work
regardless country and bandplans etc. Let the owner of the QSY
information dictate what the receiver should set. This is going to
give less errors as it's "only" human generated objects that could
mess things up and not wrong settings in the radio.

The "range" part could have been removed as this is not science and if
you receive the object you most likely are going to be able to use the
repeater.

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA