[aprssig] Balloon DFing on APRS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:47:27 EST 2012

> the best way to implement this on a map is perhaps a
> .... a line drawn in the direction given by BRG and
> ending after R (in NRQ) miles in that direction.

Yes.

> Quality and number (hits) are best given textually

No.  Ignore the HITS.  That was for a DF kit at the time that output that data direct to APRS.  It is no longer availble.

The way to display the QUALITY is by the WIDTH of a wedge.  The better the quality the narrower the wedge.

> perhaps in the case of Quality displayed with
> >differing colored lines for differing qualities.

SInce APRSdos could not plot wedges, I plotted the bearing line in "dottedness".  A high quality report was a solid line.  A low quality line is a very sparsely dotted line.  But today, better programmers should simply make wedges.

Bob, WB4APR