[aprssig] Object Naming (non-APRS stations on aprs.fi)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Fri Mar 2 02:23:15 EST 2012

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, Charles Blackburn wrote:

> Problem you have also pete is that there are existing objects out there
> that don't abide by the spec..
>
> For example....
> also RA
> http://aprs.fi/?call=i%2F226002150

Please note that RA is a ship transmitting with AIS (note all the extra
info, and the [ais via ...] path in the bubble). It's not an APRS object
or item or station and does not appear on the APRS-IS. It's name can be
much longer than on APRS and it has lots of extra properties to it.

For additional fun (and confusion) aprs.fi also allows uploading your
position directly through the web page - log in, right-click the map on
your location, and select "Upload my position". Drag-and-drop the station
to move it, or right-click at the new location. Those "web stations" do
not appear on the APRS-IS either, and their names are, again, less limited
than on APRS:

http://aprs.fi/?call=w%2F4225895793

Documentation: http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprs.fi_Web_stations

PS. To add some confusion, I made a video last night showing how to use
beta.aprs.fi with D-Star:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1CL8qvHWNE

;)

   - Hessu