[aprssig] APRS propagation monitor

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Thu Jun 7 09:27:20 EDT 2012

Hi,

a few weeks ago I was debugging my igate W1SOP-2 and fed the audio from
my D710 into my laptop running UZ7HO. The D710 was in aprs12 mode and a
putty recorded the packets being reported. UZ7HO has a limited screen
buffer so I has aprsis32 record those packets.

I had plans of parsing both packet streams and doing analysis on that
but lost steam due to some health issues. What was clear however was
that while most packets were decoded by both, some were decoded by only
one. This was a surprise.

Now I simply run aprsis32 with RF->Direct only shown on the map. It
doesn't always work as expected (some stations show that came in after a
hop) but that's for discussion on the aprsis32 list or for just
ignoring. In my case it shows that I'm pretty deaf from the North East
but listen pretty well South and West. Assuming a uniform station
distribution of course.

73,

     Sander W1SOP