[aprssig] [OT] Re: shipping and sales taxes

Dave B dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 13:31:36 EDT 2012

Perry.

To ship something from the UK to the US, we have to pay up front, costs
and tax on top..  If you compare like for like, it's about 3 times more
expensive for a sender to send something TO the US, FROM the UK, than it
is for you to send it FROM the US, TO the UK.

It's similar for other parts of the EU too.   Those costs have to be
covered, so someone selling from the UK for example, will have to add
much more shipping costs than you might imagine, else they'll be
seriously out of pocket.

Genuine "Traders" who are VAT registered, can waive that for "Export".
So you appear to save, but may not if you get hit your end by your taxes.

The other way round, we (in the UK) get hit hard if something comes in
via the "Postal" network.   I recently ordered some replacement capacitor
kits from a Canadian guy.  It took an age to get here (surface mail) and
then, even though there was no duty to pay (the total base value of the
goods being under some threshold.)  I still had to pay over £8UK
"Handling" charges, and our VAT at 20% on the value of the goods +
handling!  Just to get "my" package.   Upping the end cost some 30% from
what I initialy paid by plastic.

I too have taken stuff from HK and China (eBay purchases) and "got away"
with no import fees in the past, but when we do get hit, they hit hard.

Regards.

Dave G0WBX.