[aprssig] APRS propagation monitor

Chris Howard w0ep w0ep at w0ep.us
Wed Jun 6 14:10:43 EDT 2012

A bit of progress on my APRS propagation monitor.

This is on a linux box.

I have soundmodem running and a perl program which
gets the packets from the soundmodem TNC/serial interface
and parses them out.  I get distance and direction.

I've been a bit depressed by the low number of packets
coming through.  One problem is my antenna is rather low.
The other problem, I think my laptop's soundcard
is none too good.  (This is a Thinkpad 600x circa 1999.)
A lot of packets that I think it should decode it does not.
If I watch with the CRC turned off in soundmodemconfig mode,
I can see lots of partial packets go by.  I upgraded my
memory a bit, and explored going to a real time kernel,
but no success.

Anyway, on the software side the next thing I need to
do is winnow out direct packets from digipeated packets.
It looks like it might be a rather complicated process.

And I am cogitating on how to specify match conditions
and notification actions.

Chris w0ep
columbus, MS