[aprssig] [OT] Re: aprssig Digest, Vol 95, Issue 33

Dave B dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 13:36:22 EDT 2012

On 31 May 2012 at 5:47, Perry Chamberlain wrote:

> "Perry,
> Not to get persnickety, but your int statement is not completely true.
> Even if a company has no offices in a state that you are ordering
> from, if *your* state collects USE tax, then you *are* liable for
> paying taxes on"
>
> That's true, some states require tax, between states, after the fact,
> but shipping into the USA, is actually cheaper. This is what makes
> eBay so popular. 99 percent of online, out of state shoppers, don't
> pay any tax. I used to send gifts home to Canada, but the Canadian
> customs would charge huge duties, sometimes more then the gift were
> worth. But shipping to here from other countries is almost always duty
> free.
>
> My main point was, that international shipping into USA, is usually
> duty free.
>
> perry

Just to clarify.

I wasn't talking initially about the cutsoms duty.  Just the shipping
costs we have to pay up front.  Especially if you use the "Post Office"
for small packets, as couriers are mind numbingly expensive for small
stuff.

This is what we have to put up with in the UK.

Regards.

Dave G0WBX.