[aprssig] Another Junk ISS Object on the APRS-IS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jul 8 13:09:10 EDT 2012

On 7/8/2012 12:45 PM, Bill Vodall wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
>> Another junk ISS object is now appearing on the APRS-IS.  It's being
>> originated by a tactical call ("CNTRLA") with no real call at all in the
>> original RF packet.
>>
>> CNTRLA>APND14,UCAPK,WIDE2-2,qAR,AC7YY-15:
>> ;ISS_ 1808*080242z0045.06N\04147.77ES035/999 AOS at 08-07 08:07 LOC
> This is the standard Digi_ned satellite object.  Once a person learns
> what to look for it is extremely useful in the local area.  These have
> been used for years and years.  I'd always thought that the APRS-IS
> was filtering them since there would have been so many local
> instances...  That's probably wrong on both ideas - the filtering and
> the many.   Turning on local filtering by adding "RFONLY" to the path
> is likely the right answer.
>
> I really miss seeing them in the area and am looking forward to
> getting that running again RSN.

Search for "ISS" on APRS.fi and you will see HUNDREDS of them.

However, they have NOT been appearing when I filter for    o/ISS* on port
14580  (to get KJ4ERJ's space station obiect with coverage circle) until
recently.   KJ4ERJ's object is truly global; it doesn't announce any local AOS
or LOS --- it just shows the station's current location and RF coverage
footprint   Look at my ISS igate/map page at:

.    <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439/mapISS.htm>

to see what is happening.    I am getting two stations thousands of miles apart.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

High-Performance Software-Only Packet TNC
http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/UZ7HO-Soundmodem-Install-Ver-0.44-Beta.exe

High Quality Calibrated Static Maps for Any APRS App
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PM9_StaticMap_Export.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths