[aprssig] Another Junk ISS Object on the APRS-IS

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 12:45:47 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
> Another junk ISS object is now appearing on the APRS-IS.  It's being
> originated by a tactical call ("CNTRLA") with no real call at all in the
> original RF packet.
>
> CNTRLA>APND14,UCAPK,WIDE2-2,qAR,AC7YY-15:
> ;ISS_ 1808*080242z0045.06N\04147.77ES035/999 AOS at 08-07 08:07 LOC

This is the standard Digi_ned satellite object.  Once a person learns
what to look for it is extremely useful in the local area.  These have
been used for years and years.  I'd always thought that the APRS-IS
was filtering them since there would have been so many local
instances...  That's probably wrong on both ideas - the filtering and
the many.   Turning on local filtering by adding "RFONLY" to the path
is likely the right answer.

I really miss seeing them in the area and am looking forward to
getting that running again RSN.

73
Bill - WA7NWP