[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Mon Jan 9 16:46:36 EST 2012

EL is purely repeater linking oriented. It is unaware that you're
standing somewhere with your HT, there is no check-in process that lets
the system know you can be reached on EL node xyz. I'm leaving the PC
client out for a moment as that really doesn't help you connect to
anyone if you're in the field. As I understand it DSTAR keeps track of
where a certain radio (callsign) was last heard and this allows it to
route calls world wide. I don't think EL provides anything like that.
Call sign squelch is also a nice feature and the demo I saw of moving
files with an easy explorer interface on your PC is powerful stuff for
local tactical nets.

I chose for my first HT the D72 as I was more interested in APRS than
DSTAR at the time but I can definitely see the use for DSTAR as both fun
and more serious usage. I will probably add a DSTAR radio at some point.
If you need to chose one radio over another then all you can do is
enumerate your needs and buy the best match. If you are in an active
DSTAR area I'd say it would be a great choice.

That all said I doubt simplex and repeater FM will ever go away. With
cheap but decent Chinese HTs and maybe soon mobiles they will connect us
for years to come.

  73,

     Sander W1SOP

PS sent 1/9/12 at 4:44PM EST