[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Mon Jan 9 16:30:29 EST 2012

Echolink is just voice.  D-Star supports data.  If you buy the high end priced
1.2Ghz radio, it has an ethernet plug on it, and if you have it linked to
another 1.2ghz radio, you get a 128kb data link with ethernet as your
"pluggable" interface.  That's pretty easy to use.   There are lots of things
that could be done with echolink.  But even echolink is tied down as  a
"proprietary" closed standard.  Sure, we've reverse engineered how it works so
that my Javecho, and other echolink clients can "work" with it.   But, the
servers are privately operated, and there is no apparent interest in enhancing
the protocol to allow "data", multiple UDP port use so that a single NAT'd home
connection could host multiple echolink instances.

Choice is nice, and "open" can be good, but in the end, there are always
limitations, and you can either live with them, deal with them with disgust or
roll your own.   It's easy, and emotionally rewarding, to feel like you are
doing the right thing by "being disgusted" with what you can use, how you want.
But, in the end, you are deciding to miss out on what you can do now, while you
wait for what might be possible later.  It's okay to make that choice, it's your
right to do just that.  But, standing around, calling names, bad mouthing others
choices and in general, throwing a fit about what you can't or choose not to
participate in, is just a waste of time.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW